How UT2003 Weapons Work: InstantFire Weapons.
I will try to make a path through the many calls of shooting a instant hit weapon. More specifically, a Shock Beam Rifle.
In UT2003 the Instant hit weapons are AssaultRifle?, Minigun, ShockRifle?, and the SniperRifle. An instant hit weapon is the one that have no projectiles and you cannot dodge its shots once they were fired.
Here is the continuation of the function call chain:
- Finds out where the start of the hit trace will be;
- Calls DoTrace;
- This function tells where we hit;
- Take care of the beam reflection;
- Applies damage
- Call the creation of the visual effects;
ShockBeamFire.SpawnBeamEffect(Start, Dir, HitLocation, HitNormal, ReflectNum)
- This one creates the visual effects in this line:
Beam = Spawn(BeamEffectClass,,, Start, Dir);
- Set where is the destination of the beam with
- Define where your beam is going (the mSpawnVecA vector is the hit location)
- Create the effects in the hit location with the SpawnEffects function.
Here is where the effects are created. For the ShockRifle, these are the effect classes:
Effects spawned in the hit location:
And this is the beam itself:
Trystan: I need to trim that flowchart. Grunt.
NeoLuTion: Is it just me or does that flowchart no longer load?...
HunterKiller: Yes, It's not loading...
Chazums: Trystan has taking a break from the internet so that gone - i'll see if i can get another copy of it
Trystan: My bad. I will find that flowchart and re upload it - if I haven't deleted everything UT2K3 related yet. :\
Trystan: Flow chart uploaded to charter.net.
Wormbo: ...and it doesn't work anymore again?
GRAF1K: Oh, come on Wormbo, those h4x0r comments were funny. In a stupid kind of way...
MythOpus: Did you get his ip? It would be really funny to have everyone laugh at him if he ever comes back
DemonThing: I'm getting a 404 on that flowchart.
Tarquin: Yup, it's gone. Maybe the webcache site has it. (forgot the URL)