From my obsession with fantasy books and roleplaying comes the desire to ditch all the weapons and replace them with spells. This could probably be done with weapons alongside magic, but I'd like to leave that to one side for now. Adrenaline probably isn't much use in this unless some new combos can be implemented, because all the adrenaline stuff is really magic anyway.
Basically implemented as new weapons, probably with a common ancestor class derived from a suitable Weapon base class (at risk of reimplementing projectile launching code). All spells would draw from the same mana pool, although differing amounts for each one of course. Mana pool implementation could be as simple as a new ammo type, connected to part of the mutator which replenishes it over time, and probably mana boost pickups as well. So far I'd definitely like to implement at least the following spells:
- a nice classic one, which will hopefully end up looking so good people stand still to watch it coming for them
- Lightning bolt
- probably not the same effect as the lightning gun, although no doubt it'll start out that way
- attaches itself to a target and hunts them down (within limits), then explodes
- takes away some mana, gives you back some health
- short-term protection from offensive spells
- floats you upwards until your mana runs out. Primary fire - lift up. Secondary fire - slow your descent
- steals target's mana, gives you health
- like the adrenaline combo
- reimplementation of the translocator as a spell, probably with a different targeting system (eventually at least)
Eventually, however, some more offensive spells will probably prove necessary to keep some variety going. Might be worth thinking about things which are less like conventional weapons - point and click 'make the ground here ignite' type spells perhaps - with suitable adjustment to make sure they're not too unfair on the people nearby that spot of course. It would also be fun to see about telekinetic manipulation of other players - push, pull, maybe even lifting or throwing. Could be fun in CTF-Face3 anyway Obviously players would need a way to avoid or counter such spells being used to just throw them randomly off the edge.
If you're interested in developing this mod for UT2003 please add your name to the list. Once you start development you should indicate that below (and hopefully include a link to a journal page). Before you start development you should also check this section to see if anyone else has started.
Anything to say? I don't care if everyone hates the idea as I'm going to do it anyway, but suggestions for improvement are always great.